The scientist who has been dubbed the “Father of Intelligent Design” and author of the groundbreaking book Darwin’s Black Box contends that recent scientific discoveries further disprove Darwinism and strengthen the case for an intelligent creator.
In his controversial bestseller Darwin’s Black Box, biochemist Michael Behe challenged Darwin’s theory of evolution, arguing that science itself has proven that intelligent design is a better explanation for the origin of life. In Darwin Devolves, Behe advances his argument, presenting new research that offers a startling reconsideration of how Darwin’s mechanism works, weakening the theory’s validity even more.
A system of natural selection acting on random mutation, evolution can help make something look and act differently. But evolution never creates something organically. Behe contends that Darwinism actually works by a process of devolution — damaging cells in DNA in order to create something new at the lowest biological levels. This is important, he makes clear, because it shows the Darwinian process cannot explain the creation of life itself. “A process that so easily tears down sophisticated machinery is not one which will build complex, functional systems,” he writes.
In addition to disputing the methodology of Darwinism and how it conflicts with the concept of creation, Behe reveals that what makes Intelligent Design unique — and right — is that it acknowledges causation. Evolution proposes that organisms living today are descended with modification from organisms that lived in the distant past. But Intelligent Design goes a step further asking, what caused such astounding changes to take place? What is the reason or mechanism for evolution? For Behe, this is what makes Intelligent Design so important.
Opening New Avenues of Thought
I highly recommend this book to both proponents and skeptics of Darwinian evolution as it will open new avenues of thought and creativity regarding this important subject.Russell Carlson, Professor Emeritus of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology at the University of Georgia
Behe’s Latest Masterpiece
Behe’s latest masterpiece takes the evidence marshaled in defense of the unbounded power of blind evolution and deftly brings it to the opposite conclusion: evolution is self-limiting by design. Time for the Behe-bashers to retire.Douglas Axe, Director of Biologic Institute and author of Undeniable
Comprehensive and Convincing Arguments
Darwin Devolves is a must read. Behe presents comprehensive and convincing arguments that genomic reduction is responsible for numerous classic examples of species adaptive radiation, challenging Darwin’s “mutation and selection” mechanism as the source of life’s diversity.Scott A. Minnich, Professor and Program Coordinator NIH Idaho INBRE
Enlightening and Informative
The open-minded reader will definitely find Darwin Devolves to be an enlightening and informative look at a very controversial issue.Donald F. Calbreath, PhD, Retired Professor of Chemistry, Whitworth College, in New York Journal of Books
If it doesn’t work there, it doesn’t work anywhere
Michael Behe, professor of biochemistry at Lehigh University, has been keeping committed Darwinists awake nights for years. His 1996 book Darwin’s Black Box: The Biochemical Challenge to Evolution asked a long-ignored question: If Darwin’s theory explains everything so well, why hasn’t anyone shown how it works at the minutest level, biochemistry? If it doesn’t work there, it doesn’t work anywhere. ¶ Now Behe has released a new book, based on new science, showing once again that it doesn’t work there. Darwin Devolves: The New Science About DNA That Challenges Evolution is going to cause a lot more sleepless nights.Tom Gilson, “Darwin Devolves: Another Huge Advance Against Darwinism and for Intelligent Design” at Evolution News
With the release of Michael Behe’s Darwin Devolves, the scientific dialogue between its detractors and defenders continues. Here we collect some of the most noteworthy criticisms and responses by Michael Behe and others. Find the most comprehensive coverage and most recent responses of Darwin Devolves at Evolution News.
Re: Lents at Skeptic Magazine
Regarding “Behe’s Last Stand: The Lion of Intelligent Design Roars Again” by Nathan H. Lents at Skeptic Magazine, Volume 24, Number 1 (March 2019).
- “Does T-urf13 Refute Irreducible Complexity? A Response to Arthur Hunt” at Evolution News (April 2, 2019).
- “In His Latest Review of Behe’s Darwin Devolves, Nathan Lents Misses the Forest for the Trees” by Brian Miller at Evolution News (April 3, 2019).
- “Muller Two-Step Model: A Refutation of Behe on Irreducible Complexity?” at Evolution News (May 3, 2019).
Re: Lang and Rice at Evolution
Regarding “Evolution unscathed: Darwin Devolves argues on weak reasoning that unguided evolution is a destructive force, incapable of innovation” by Gregory I. Lang and Amber M. Rice (March 13, 2019) at Evolution.
- “Harvard Molecular Geneticist Vindicates Michael Behe’s Main Argument in Darwin Devolves” at Evolution News (May 22, 2020).
- “A Response to My Lehigh Colleagues, Part 1” by Michael Behe at Evolution News (March 22, 2019).
- “A Response to My Lehigh Colleagues, Part 2” by Michael Behe at Evolution News (March 25, 2019).
- “A Response to My Lehigh Colleagues, Part 3” by Michael Behe at Evolution News (March 26, 2019).
Re: Lenski at Telliamed Revisited
Regarding Richard Lenski’s series: 1. “Does Behe’s “First Rule” Really Show that Evolutionary Biology Has a Big Problem?” (February 15, 2019), 2. “On damaged genes and polar bears” (February 22, 2019), 3. “Is the LTEE breaking bad?” (February 26, 2019), 4. “Evolution goes viral! (And how real science works)” (March 6, 2019).
- “Lessons from Polar Bear Studies” by Michael Behe at Evolution News (March 6, 2019).
- “For Dreams of Darwinian Evolution, First Rule of Adaptive Evolution Is an Insuperable Problem” by Michael Behe at Evolution News (March 14, 2019).
- “Thanks, Professor Lenski, the LTEE Is Doing Great!” by Michael Behe at Evolution News (March 29, 2019).
- “Can’t Anybody Here Make Distinctions?” by Michael Behe at Evolution News (April 12, 2019).
Re: Coyne at The Washington Post
Regarding Jerry Coyne’s “Intelligent design gets even dumber” at The Washington Post (March 8, 2019).
- “Coyne: ‘The Tuxedo is Fraying’!” by David Klinghoffer at Evolution News (March 12, 2019).
- “Bullet Points for Jerry Coyne” by Michael Behe at Evolution News(March 12, 2019).
Re: Lents, Swamidass, and Lenski
Regarding “A biochemist’s crusade to overturn evolution misrepresents theory and ignores evidence” by Nathan H. Lents, S. Joshua Swamidass, and Richard E. Lenski in Science (February 7, 2019)
- “Woo-hoo! In Science Review of Darwin Devolves, Lenski Has No Response to My Main Argument” by Michael Behe (February 7, 2019).
- “Darwinists Devolve: Review by Swamidass, Lenski, and Lents Borders on Fraud” by John G. West (February 11, 2019).
- “Cited to Attack Darwin Devolves, Study Devolves on Close Inspection” at Evolution News (February 13, 2019).
- “Train Wreck of a Review: A Response to Lenski et al. in Science” by Michael Behe (February 14, 2019).
- “Perplexing: Michael Behe’s Critics Falsely Claim He Ignores Exaptation” at Evolution News (February 19, 2019).
- “Behe Responds to the Journal Science” on the ID the Future podcast, Part I and Part II, by Michael Behe with Andrew McDiarmid.
- “Näsvall et al. Demonstrates the Effectiveness of Intelligent Design” by Ann Gauger at Evolution News (February 25, 2019).
- “Citrate Death Spiral” by Michael Behe at Evolution News (June 17, 2020).
On Scientific Dialogue
Regarding “I Agree with Behe” by S. Joshua Swamidass at Peaceful Science (February 12, 2019)
- “In the Controversy over Intelligent Design, Seeking Genuine Dialogue” by John G. West at Evolution News (February 17, 2019).
Of the First Rule of Adaptive Evolution
Regarding “Does Behe’s ‘First Rule’ Really Show that Evolutionary Biology Has a Big Problem?” by Richard E. Lenski at Telliamed Revisited (February 15, 2019)
- “Conversation Evolves: Richard Lenski Responds to Michael Behe” by David Klinghoffer at Evolution News (February 15, 2019).
Of Chloroquine Resistance
- “Science Review Offers False Accusations about Chloroquine Resistance” at Evolution News (February 14, 2019).
- “On Chloroquine Resistance, Nathan Lents Severely Misrepresents Behe’s Arguments” at Evolution News (February 19, 2019).
- “From Swamidass on Chloroquine Resistance, a Response that Doesn’t Respond” at Evolution News (February 20, 2-19).
Of Polar Bears
Regarding “Scientists scrutinize just two examples in Behe’s new book; find them deeply misleading” by Jerry Coyne (February 13, 2019) and “Darwin Devolves: Behe Gets Polar Bear Evolution Very Wrong” by Nathan H. Lents (February 12, 2019).
- “Coyne and Polar Bears: Why You Should Never Rely on Incompetent Reviewers” by Michael Behe at Evolution News(February 14, 2019).
- “Polar Bear Seminar (I): Why Behe Is Right” at Evolution News (April 5, 2019).
- “Polar Bear Seminar (II): The APOB Gene and Damaging Mutations” at Evolution News (April 8, 2019).
- “Polar Bear Seminar (III): Unacknowledged Discrepancies, Inconsistent Standards” at Evolution News (April 9, 2019).
- “Polar Bear Seminar (IV): A Fake Scandal About a Chart” at Evolution News (April 10, 2019).
- “Polar Bear Seminar (V): On Retracting — and Not Retracting — Errors” at Evolution News (April 11, 2019).
- “Remind Me Again Why We Picked Polar Bears?” by Ann Gauger at Evolution News (May 2, 2019).
- “Polar Bear Seminar (VI): New Evidence That Michael Behe Is Right” at Evolution News (May 6, 2019).
- “Polar Bear Seminar (VII): This Is the End” at Evolution News (May 6, 2019).